Re: PC-BSD

From: Raphael Marmier <raphael@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 18:32:10 +0200

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 02:16:07PM +0300, Yaroslav Tarasenko wrote:

I remember how it was simple installing software (and upgrading to new versions) on BeOS: you should just unzip archive file and put its contents somewhere on HD. Is it a dream in bsd world?

You can do the same on any OS, but it means duplicating a lot of stuff.
Heck, move all your libs into $PKG/lib, use a wrapper which sets
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the install location and be done. That's what a lot
of commerical software vendors do.

Is it the UNIX-way? I don't think so.

I am not against a bit of duplication to avoid a lot of exasperation.

Especially if that would help segragate stuff that need different level of reliability and availability.

I would be glad to have a way to install, say, apache with a private dependency tree so that when I can upgrade all the rest without worrying about breaking it (even temporarly). I've heard about pkgsrc "views". Is that it?

remember, "There is more than one way to do it" ;)

Raphael