Re: DP performance

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:33:58 -0700 (PDT)

:
:A machine running 1.2 with one or two opterons
:goes into livelock at just about the same traffic
:level, which is about the same behavior as with
:older freeBSD versions. Are such things still a
:work in progress?
:
:Danial

    The network path is still operating under the big giant lock.
    We expect to get it out from under the BGL this year.

    Could you explain the characteristics of the livelock you
    are observing ?  Interrupt layer livelock shouldn't happen
    with a modern network adapter, but it is certainly possible
    that other forms of livelock are effecting the system.  The
    biggest single problem is still the BGL but I am also rather
    unhappy with our current scheduler.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>