Re: xorg +XGI Volari XP5

From: "Thomas E. Spanjaard" <tgen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:35:16 +0200

Hummel Tom wrote:
I strongly advise to look at the cost of a whole centrino product.

It's not the cost that was my argument, but power usage.

I'd rather check out the AMD Turion64 Notebooks with a VIA K8N800A, whiches internal graphics adapter is support by the "via" X11 driver.

I found a Yakumo one, for around 900EUR, the Q8M Turion64 YW.

You can get a Pentium-M for the same price, albeit with less MHz (but not less performance perse!). Besides, a Turion64 uses more power.

Intel's too expensive for my taste, furthermore I think, it's good when people take a look at other products, and because Transmeta will step out of the CPU business, doesn't mean, you shouldn't buy a Transmeta notebook now... never met anybody upgrading the cpu of their notebook.

Transmeta is still in the Pentium 3 non-coppermine/tualatin days where performance is concerned, just like VIA with their C3. I won't seriously recommend that to anyone buying a new notebook.

Cheers,
		-- Thomas E. Spanjaard
		   tgen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx