Production readiness and upgrading from FreeBSD 4.11

From: Jeff Duffy <jeff.duffy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 03:57:16 -0400

Greetings all,

While I'm sure it's a familiar story, my company has relied on FreeBSD for quite a long time, and we have a large number of servers running FreeBSD 4.11-RELEASE-p3. The direction the 5.x branch has taken doesn't suit us, so DragonFly is the likely upgrade path. I have read all the documentation I can find on the site, and I'd like to ask for some help with the following questions:

1. The most important question is when will the DragonFly team consider the OS 'production quality'? This may be now, but I've read Matt Dillon's various quotes and interviews with interest, and he's said on a few occasions that companies may want to wait a bit before converting. We're feeling the end of support for the 4.x tree closing in, and we need to make a decision soon about what to do about it.

2. The "Upgrading from FreeBSD 4" document references 4.9 as the most recent version. Obviously quite a few things have changed in the meantime, so is 'make upgrade' still a viable upgrade path? That DragonFly has made easy upgrades from FreeBSD 4.x a priority warms my heart :)

3. We run jdk-1.4.2p6_7 compiled from ports. Is there any reason to think this won't easily transfer to DragonFly? We have created our own package, and rely heavily for the near future on Java and Tomcat until our Python port is complete.

Obviously we'll be running internal tests, but if there's anything it would help to know I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff Duffy