Re: Stable tag will be slipped Sunday and release engineering will begin Monday

From: Raphael Marmier <raphael@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 14:46:32 +0200

James Frazer wrote:
On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 18:44:57 -0700, walt wrote:

My complaint (so far as I feel entitled to complain about something I
get for free) is that NetBSD's pkg_chk -u is (most often) a disaster for
me.

Any time a gnome package is updated, all dependencies are deleted
immediately (without asking me first) and then (more often than not) one
of the replacement packages fails to compile -- leaving me with a pile
of smoking rubble instead of a functional machine.

I've had this happen as well. However, I have also had portupgrade burn me in the same way. It will get half way through building and *bam* go up in flames, and leave me with half of a million dependencies installed on the system, and the other half not.

I learned my lesson though -- never upgrade gnome with portupgrade the
third time I tried the handy dandy 'gnome-upgrade.sh' script or whatever
it was called.  Unfortunately, that to blew up on me and left me with a
system that was totally messed up.

I think there is only one decent conclusion to draw from this:

We NEED rollbacks!

We need a easy and reliable way to roll back either the installed packages or the whole system, a filesystem or a directory to a previous, know working state.

all the other nit-picking about the perfect package system is akin to talking about the sex of the angels with regard to SAFELY upgrading a host.

throwing the stone in the pond again ;)

Raphael