Re: boot loader question

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 02:50:17 +0800

Jaime Andrés Ballesteros wrote:

Thanks Eric for your answer. I will try. Now i have another question.
Why all BSD's recognizes my SATA disks like ad4? i was waiting for an
ad0 but DgnFly puts an ad4. Is this because BSD's recognizes the SATA
disk like SCSI disks??

Thanks to everyone

Jaime Andrés

No - there's a different reason.

Most MB & BIOs will have a physical and logical IDE/ATA channel 0 thru 3,
and even if using no HDD there, you probably have a CD/DVD on one of those.

Accordingly, either on-MB or add-on PATA or SATA (RAID or otherwise)
will usually count from channel 4, hence ad4.

Potentially less confusing than the alternatives, such as when adding a drive
to a previously unused channel, then having to 'bump' the number, edit fstab,
or stay confused and perhaps not boot as expected. ;-)

I'd leave it alone and just get used to it. Safer that way.

BTW - a USB-attached device *may* show up as '/dev/da(n)' - claiming to
be a SCSI.  Go figure.....

Bill Hacker