Re: Semantic change of "device pcm"

From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 18:50:23 +0200

On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 01:35:49AM -0000, Andreas Hauser wrote:
> joerg wrote @ Sat, 2 Apr 2005 22:12:33 +0200:
> > Hi all,
> > please note that in -CURRENT "device pcm" is now splitted into
> > "device pcm" and "device snd". Including support for individual
> > sound cards is now possible. The device is named like the module
> > and "device pcm" is needed once. So use something like
> > 	device pcm
> > 	device snd_ich
> > When the module name contains a digit, you have to quote it,
> > otherwise config thinks it is a numbered device, so do
> > 	device "snd_sb8"
>
> This is awful.
> Can't we have something that just works, ie. includes all snd_* like
> device snd?

Again, because it seems noone read the whole message. To include all the
sound drivers, just put "device pcm" _and_ "device snd" in your kernel
config, just like before you would have put "device pcm" in it.
If you want to change the settings for a device, it is done on the "pcm"
device, the snd* entries just select which devices which support goes in.

I know this is a bit confusion, but related to how the framework works.
I'm working on improving this, but that needs some time.

Joerg