OT ... the new buzz word: virtualization

From: "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 01:08:25 -0400 (AST)

Everyone seems to be jumping onto this one lately, and I'm curious as to exactly what it means, and what it can do ...

Du to the work that has been done on the whole VFS layer, specifically the plans towards fixing unionfs, my plan is to eventually move my servers from FreeBSD 4.x to DragonFlyBSD (when, of course, depends on that unionfs code *nudge nudge* *wink wink*) ...

All of our clients use jail'd environments, and I've had one ask about switching to using Xen ... other then being able to run other OSs (which I don't want to do), I can't really see benefits, and only the drawback of the extra overhead I would imagine would be inherent with something like that, which I imagine would have its own kernel, and therefore, use more memory resources then our current jail'd environments ...

So, I guess my question is what exactly is virtualization? Is it *just* a way of running multiple operating systems on one box, and that is the only thing that makes use of it ... or woudl the operating system itself, without any "extra software" make some sort of use of that sort of thing? Is there some sort of performance benefit to it?

----
Email: scrappy@xxxxxxx           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664