Re: dragonfly pdf documentation

From: Erick Perez <eaperezh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:44:46 -0500

Well, thanks all for these postings...i'll make sure to report back to
the list any issues/success with the dragon...

the biggest issue here will be running the iPBX/VoIP Asterisk
(www.asterisk.org) on the dragon, if it works i'll never get back to
linux......
I now there is a port to FreeBSD, will check on that today....

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 16:08:21 +0000, Marcin Jessa <lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am not sure if DragonflyBSD implemented that yet but on FreeBSD you can change device names, e.g:
>
> [root@urukhai:~]# ifconfig -l
> ath0 fxp0 pfsync0 pflog0 lo0
> [root@urukhai:~]# ifconfig ath0 name atheros
> [root@urukhai:~]# ifconfig -l
> atheros fxp0 pfsync0 pflog0 lo0
>
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 16:41:38 +0200
> Hummel Tom <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I think you mean eth0 vs xl0,dc0
> > >
> > > Linux uses eth_ for naming a network interface, on BSD interfaces are
> > > named after the driver, xl0 (3Com 3C90x), dc0 (DEC). IMHO it is one of
> > > Linux' design flaws. Naming it after the device is a plus because it
> > > makes troubleshooting easier and less confusing (you know right away
> > > which interface are you messing with).
> >
> > Personally i like the idea of naming all network devices after the
> > network type. If you change card types there won't be any trouble in
> > scripts and configs you forgot about etc...
> > and a short check into the kernel message buffer, will clear up any
> > confusion about the network devices :)
> >
> > tom
>
> --
>
> Regards,