Re: S.M.A.R.T support?

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 10:19:04 +0800

Thomas Edward Spanjaard wrote:

"Steve Mynott" <steve.mynott@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:81c92190503250328679f2cbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This seems to be the NetBSD approach with their "atactl".

<http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sbin/atactl/atactl.c.diff?r1=1.14&r2=1.15&f=h>

Maybe this could be used in DragonFly's atacontrol (or similar) if the data structures/devices aren't too different?

I see that as a viable option. I'm pretty pleased with the way NetBSD handles it.

Cheers,
       -- Thomas E. Spanjaard

NetBSD and OpenBSD atactl appear to use the same code, credit the same author(s) and history, though I haven't diff'ed the sources yet.

In either/both cases, they provide finer-grained control
of ATA device features, but do NOT provide for RAID
control as atacontrol does.

In all cases, these are management tools, not drivers per se,
so I think this is precisely where the combined functionality
belongs.

Will look at it later today.  Need some sleep now.
Preening, mounting and I/O is tiring w/o a computer.  ;-)

Bill