Re: ATA anomaly Question

From: Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 04:47:48 +0800

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:>>Fine with me - so long as it doesn't actually downshift I/O rate-wise.
:>>(which IIRC, the FreeBSD ones actually *did* do, at least early-on.
:>>Ancient history now...)
:> :> :> It certainly doesn't I've seen well over 40MB/s out of a SATA
:> drive with the limited to UDMA33 message.
:> :
:Sounds good! - Few single drives can sustain even that in 'real world'
:use- regardless of the interface. Burst-mode is, of course, another matter.
:
:Thanks,
:
:Bill
35-50 MBytes/sec is fairly typical for a modern drive these days. The
linear transfer rate goes up with density. The head seek times, on the
otherhand, haven't changed much over the last few years.

-Matt
Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

ACK. Hence 'real world' comment.....

If you want to see astonishing I/O benchmarks, format a ZIP as hpfs-386.

Eject the media.

Run the I/O benchmark against the empty drive.....

Magic!

. ..absent media, the OS/2 version runs the bench against the 100 MB (-) cache ...

Which is in system DDRAM.....

Tilt! ;-)

Bill