Re: Loader not found

From: Chris Pressey <cpressey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:20:38 -0800

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:08:46 +0800
Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Chris Pressey wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:37:17 +0800
> > Bill Hacker <wbh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >>Chris Pressey wrote:
> >>
> *SNIP*
>
> > LiveCD as its main distribution medium is a continuing desire to
> > have a floppy-based install.  But I dunno, there might be other
> > reasons.
>
> Given how easy it is with Linux, a LiveCD can't be all that hard,
> but the time to *begin* an effort for CD has already passed.
>
> Software needs to ship on a USB stick these days, maybe
> with a 5$ ccd camera thrown in.
>
> Better chance of raising funds for the project, also.
> Newbies these days don't buy the books - they can't read.
>
> Free, as in not for profit, *costs covered*, rather than free,
> as in go hungry in order to contribute equipment as well as time,
> would be a nice change to the model.

Interesting thought...  I know we've come within inches of successfully
building a DragonFly "LivePenDrive"; I think the problem was that, once
the overhead of the filesystem was factored in, it was just slightly
bigger than 128M.  Trimming it down slightly would surely make it
feasible.

> > A 'LiveFloppy' system would be, well, a whooooooooole lotta
> > diskettes
>
> But no - it needn't be.  One floppy, then go over the wire...

Just to split hairs, it's not exactly the same thing - you'd have to
keep the system image entirely in memory for it to be "Live" in the
sense of "I can play with it without installing it to my hdd."

Of course, most modern machines do have enough memory to do that.

Of course, those same machines are increasingly less likely to have
floppy drives :/

-Chris