Re: Differences between constructive and destructive criticism

From: EM1897@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 13:20:20 -0500

> Jonathon McKitrick once babbled:
>
>>He's rewriting the OS to give you 20% more performance.
>>I've told you how to get 300% more.
>
>Wrong.  He's rewriting the OS to make it more maintainable, extensible, and
>flexible.  Performance gains are a bonus.  Anyone can throw more hardware at
>a problem and claim the faster, easier solution.

I hate to break it to you Johnny, but every "goal" listed
on the dragonfly charter, with the exception of packaging,
is designed to enhance threading and thus multiprocessor
performance.

The purpose of an O/S is to utilize hardware. If you think
that hardware is irrelevant, then you really aren't paying
attention. The entire point of FreeBSD 5 and dragonfly is
that uniprocessor has hit a wall, and the freebsd 4.x
design is not multiprocessor friendly, so it needs to be
redesigned to utilize multi-core, MP architectures. Its
always about performance, and the hardware available is
the entire point.

Congrats on your review. Luckily your boss doesn't read
this list.