Re: Differences between AMD and Intel CPUs [was: Re: Dragonfly andHyperthreading....]

From: EM1897@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 21:05:54 -0500

In a message dated 3/9/2005 6:55:09 PM Eastern Standard Time, Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>:>> fast as a single 3.2Ghz P4 for $360. I don't have an
>:>
>:>Agree, so the challenge is to get some ubench'es of opteron 144/ athlon
>:>3200 (they are now about 229 EUR same of the 3.2 intel) and compare that
>:>with ubench'es of your 3.2 GHz machine.
>:
>:Alas, you don't "get" it and perhaps never will. You can't
>:even buy a PCI-X MB for that price, so even if the processor
>:was free you lose. And you don't need to "bench" it if your
>:MB has a bus thats 8x slower. Its not a usable product even if
>:your cpu is 3x faster.
>:
>:I see I'm wasting my time here if you think an opteron 144
>:is "comparable".  Thankfully my competitors think similarly.
>
>    Dude, I don't know what your problem is, but you need to stop posting
>    this crap now.  We are all getting quite sick of it.  Hell, you don't
>    even sign your name on your postings.  Do you think anyone gives any
>    credence to someone who can't even sign their name?  You also don't
>    know jack about motherboards or performance or, as far as I can tell,
>    anything about DragonFly or any other operating system.  When you get
>    a clue, you are welcome to return.  But right now you are becoming
>    a grade A nuisance and you need to leave.

Is that what happens to people who disagree with the
might MD?

I'd much rather hear why you don't think that the bus
speed of the network adapter is a worthy criteria for
hardware selection than your opinion on my conduct.
Your reasoning is what gives you credibility; not your
name. It seems implausible that you don't understand
what a bottleneck a standard PCI bus is.