Re: How to reinstall the loader?

From: "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 09:08:49 +0000

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 12:21:50 -0800 (PST)
Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> :  The worse thing is when I tried to boot my DragonFlyBSD partition
> :afterwards. The DragonFlyBSD loader has been replaced by the FreeBSD one,
> :that tries to boot FreeBSD and not DragonFlyBSD. I don't know why it has

	I just had exactly the same problem (and cause) - the good news is
I recovered from it :)

>     You can do this by booting the DragonFly CD and installing the loader
>     manually.  Lets say DFly is on ad0s1, you would do (booting the CD and
>     logging in as root):
>
> 	disklabel -w -B ad0s1

	I had to do:

	disklabel -w -B ad4s4 auto

>     You might possibly also have to recopy the loader program itself:

	That wasn't needed but the FreeBSD installer had managed to hose
my DragonFly disklabel too, I had to recreate it by hand with disklabel -e
and a fair amount of arithmetic.