Re: sendmail as a secondary MX

From: Janet Sullivan <ciscogeek@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 06:37:46 -0800

The only difference I see off the bat is that before converting tx.bgp4.net to DragonFly, it was running sendmail 8.13.1, while on DF it now uses 8.12.10.

OK, this is officially driving me crazy now, even though I wouldn't at all be surprised if its pilot error.

All I want is for sendmail on my dragonfly box to do is be a secondary for two domains. That's it. If anyone has this working on CURRENT, please tell me how you did it.

What drives me nuts is that the Sendmail config steps I used on FreeBSD 4.10 & 4.11 on the same box worked fine for a secondary. However, I just can't get it to work on DF. I've tried nuking /etc/mail and starting fresh. I've tried sendmail from ports. For whatever reason, I just can't get the !$%R% thing to relay.

- Any clues in /var/log/maillog?

No

- Any warn or similar level messages in any *other* log or console messages?

No

- How about (changes to) the various configuration files under /etc/mail?

Nuked /etc/mail, ran mergemaster, and dropped all my normal sendmail changes (dnsbls) and just tried relay-domains. Nada.

I've ruled out mail application by telneting directly to port 25 on the server and doing the commands (helo, mail from:, rcpt to:, data, ., quit) manually. It accepts the mail just fine - and delivers it locally, never noticing that its a secondary MX.

And finally - are you 'attached' to Sendmail, or would you want to try, for example Exim?

Well, I *was* attached to sendmail. <laugh> It irks me when things that worked two days ago don't work now, and I can't figure out why.

There has to be something I'm missing.