Re: Dragonflybsd Presentation

From: EM1897@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:20:13 -0500

In a message dated 2/22/2005 11:39:06 AM Eastern Standard Time, Tom Hummel <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> I think you are missing the point of the separation of
>> kernel and "system". A HUGE advantage LINUX has is the
>> ability to pop in virtually any version kernel without
>
>..and bloat libc to support all changes in Kernel PIs, from Version
>$darn_old to $bleeding_edge?
>no thanks :)

Over short periods of time you may be right, but after
2.5 years you've got machines running 4.1,4.4, 4.7, 4.9 and
4.11  and as a developer we have to support every single
freebsd version so that we have kernels for all the variants in the field...You also can't use newer features in base
code because you have to maintain the lowest common
demonimator of compatibility for your user base. Its a
drag. A bit of "bloat" is well worth the gain.