em driver issues

From: EM1897@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 19:12:03 EST

I have a bunch of problems regarding the em driver in 1.1-Stable.
I'm able to panic the system almost immediately by firing a stream
of packets at the system and (I assume) causing an overrun condition.
But before I tackle debugging the crash, I have some other issues
that might need to be cleared up first. And I also want to see if
anyone else is working on it so as to not duplicate the effort.

We have a 2 port OEM card based on the 82546EB/GB chip (both have
the same problem). The card is detected seemingly ok, but the link
doesn't work. A box that I'm testing with has 2 82540EM parts on the
Motherboard and they work fine. But the 2 ports on the adapter card
do not detect the link. Moving the cable from the 82546EB port to the
82540EM port results in an immediate link up. The symptoms are the
same on another MB with fxp ports onboard, so its not an interaction
between the different type of em ports.

I've diff'ed the FreeBSD 4.9 code and Dragonfly's and there are many
differences. We never used 4.8 (we went from 4.7 to 4.9) and I know
many em driver issues were resolved from 4.7 -> 4.9, but I'm not sure
of how the driver was in 4.8. Before I start mucking with this, if anyone
has any information or has done any work on this I'd appreciate hearing
about it.

EM