Re: kernel: Entropy device is blocking

From: sam <samwun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 13:04:12 +0800

Brian Reichert wrote:

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 09:57:49PM +0800, sam wrote:

Hi,

I did a google on

freebsd "Entropy device blocking"

And saw two whole hits; the second one does describe what this
message means
and how to deal with it:

http://freebsd.amazingdev.com/blog/archives/000188.html

* Just type away for a bit, randomly. You can even redirect it to /dev/null:

# cat >/dev/null

Just type stuff away, and when you're done, hit ctrl-d to stop the cat'ing to /dev/null. Then re-run passwd.
Result: Not being tested yet, as I don't see a fundamental difference compared to typing junks on the keyboard. If the random device is not working properly, it still not going to work no matter how you input random characters.

Result: Not being tested yet, as I don't see a fundamental difference compared to typing junks on the keyboard. If the random device is not working properly, it still not going to work no matter how you input random characters.

* As Matthew Seaman pointed on on the -questions list, you can just run vipw and delete the stuff between the second and third ':', leaving a blank password. Then you can reboot normally, login to root immediately(!!) and run passwd. The generator will be nice and warmed up.

Result: I've been using blank password thru out all installation, and created root password after login root, then reboot, it still have tne same error.

* I guess on FreeBSD 5.x, which I haven't tried to install yet, you can run:

# /etc/rc.d/preseedrandom

      Which, in fact, preseeds the random number generator.
Result: this is new to me, I tried it, but does not fix the problem.

Apart from using the entropy way to genenrate host_keys, why can't base on user's root password generate host_keys? Is there any other way (commandline) of sshd generate host_keys?

Thanks
Sam.

Thanks
Sam