Re: Some newbie questions

From: Oliver Fromme <check+iato1a00rssv3izs@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 24 Jan 2005 14:31:26 GMT

Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > [...]
 > 3. What is the state of journaling fs / background fsck ? We cannot wait
 > hours for fsck to complete after an unclean shutdown

Note that you can decrease fsck time by properly chosing
newfs parameters.  For example, the number of inodes has
a significant impact on the fsck time:

For a 500 Gbyte filesystem, newfs will reserver space for
about 60 million inods when using the default settings.
If you reduce the inode density to 128 Kbyte/inode, there
will only be about 4 million inodes.  Not only will fsck
run faster, but you will also have 7 Gbyte additional free
space for file data.

Of course, you have to estimate in advance how many files
are going to be stored on the filesystem, i.e. what the
average filesize will be, and then set the -i optione for
newfs(8) appropriately.

On my multimedia filesystem (250 Gbyte containing movies,
mp3s and similar things), fsck doesn't take more time than
it takes me to fetch a cup of coffee.  :)

Best regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Konrad-Celtis-Str. 72, 81369 Munich, Germany

``All that we see or seem is just a dream within a dream.''
(E. A. Poe)