Re: flashing bios

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 11:53:31 -0800 (PST)

:I have a "fx83s032.bin" file that I need to run in dos to flash bios
:
:The command under doscmd (from pkg_add) 'segfaulted' -- don't have the
:exact error but it was a binary incompatible...
:
:I do have an old dos floppy on disk, but creating a disk and installing
:a floppy drive won't be trivial, is that the only way?
:
:// George
:
:George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
:http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george@xxxxxxxxx

    You can't run a bios flashing program from doscmd.  Pretty much the
    only way is to use MS Windows on a machine to generate a bootable
    DOS floppy.  Once you have the bootable floppy you can mount
    it on BSD and copy the additional files you need onto it.  You can also
    dd the entire image into a file for later recreation (so you don't
    have to run Windoz again).   It also generally works to take a floppy
    image and burn it onto a CD for those machines which do not have floppy
    drives.

    I've never understood why the BIOS makers, who have full control over
    their machine's BIOSes, can't supply bootable images for flashing
    purposes.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>