Newbies guide to laptop installs?

From: Paul Grunwald <pgrunwald@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 31 Dec 2004 06:10:16 GMT

I think my frst contribution to Dragonfly will be a newbies laptop
install guide.

Here is my install onto an IBM r32.

1) Used Acronis to create a 6GB partition taking space from the main
WinXP partition.

2) Booted with DFly 1.1 (12/22/04) iso CD.

3) logged in as installed.

4) choose disk ad0 to install

5) did not use whole disk, chose partition #3 that I created.  Changed
/swap from 2048M to 1024M (I have 640M ram). Set home to 256M, gave * to
/usr

6) installed and allowed DFly to write boot blocks

7) proceeded with install and set timezone and root password.  Installed
all avail. utilities.

8) rebooted - choose F3 - BSD on reboot.

9) ifconfig wi0 ssid my_ssid wepmode on wepkey 0xXXX (I don't have a free
cat5 on my router and dmesg spotted the wifi)

10) ifconfig wi0 up

11) dhclient -v wi0
I did not get a resolv.conf built here for me and I was not getting name
resolution.  I needed to create resolv.conf manually.

12) edit /usr/share/example/cvsup/Freebsd-ports-supfile to
cvsup9.freebsd.org

13) cvsup -g -L 2 Freebsd-ports-supfile

Installing and configuring my packages.  I will get basic things
installed and then portupgrade -a.  Then I will makeworld/buildworld.

I did notice one other thing,  I do not have a /etc/rc.conf as per the
handbook (http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~justin/handbook/installation-
system-setup.html) .  Should I have one?  Is rc.conf configuration the
same as Freebsd 4.10?   I should add basic network stuff to rc.conf -
right?

I welcome suggestions or corrections to the above steps.

P.