Re: Getting tired of 5.3

From: walt <wa1ter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 16:55:57 -0800

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 01:08:25PM -0800, walt wrote:
> : To set the record straight -- I updated my FreeBSD-current machine
> : (which I haven't done for awhile) and noticed that SCHED_ULE is
> : no longer the default (so I changed that) and there is a new
> : option (PREEMPTION) which I added.
>
> What is the default schedule option?  So you set it back to SCHED_ULE with
> PREEMPTION?

As Freddie said, the GENERIC default is SCHED_4BSD, which is what I just
changed back to, along with PREEMPTION.  These are just the GENERIC defaults,
and nothing more.  (My custom kernel config was lagging behind GENERIC.)

I update my FreeBSD-current machine occasionally, just to keep informed. My
focus is now on DragonflyBSD, and I expect to stay here for the forseeable
future.  (With occasional side-trips to other OS's :o)

My feeling is:  if a piece of code is virtually impenetrable even to the
people who wrote it, then what chance is there for that code to improve
and to morph into something better?

The *major* benefit to Matt's LWKT and friends, IMHO, is that it IS
comprehensible to mere mortals (not including Moi, certainly).

This means that some 15-year-old with an Xbox (or some other piece of
junk) will eventually figure out a way to make DFly ten times better,
just because the code is logical and doesn't depend on ESP to understand
it.