Re: looking for diskless advice

From: Chuck Tuffli <chuck_tuffli@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:52:45 -0800

Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 07:28:35AM -0800, Chuck Tuffli wrote:

My little side project using DFly as a platform to do some of our system validation tasks has snow-balled into something real, and now I need to replicate my environment to ~30 machines and keep the OS image on each current. There was a thread a while back that described how to setup a PXE/bootp environment that made me think setting up a diskless environment would be the way to go. I've never setup/maintained an environment this big before and am looking for some advice. From other people's experiences

If you have normal machines e.g. with hard disk and all, I would
use a small alternative root filesystem, which automatically fetches or
rsyncs the real root + usr filesystem. I'd configure loader or
boot0 to switch the default config on demand and restart.

Joerg

Yup, these are normal machines. What is an example of an "alternative root"?

---chuck