Re: FreeBSD 5.3 or DragonFly?

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 01:01:29 -0800 (PST)

:If a new user of BSD is trying to decide between installing FreeBSD 5.3, the
:current version, or DragonFly, what advantages does DragonFly offer?
:Hopefully someone can refer me to a document that has already been written,
:since I imagine that a comparison would take up a great deal of space.
:
:--
:Robert T. Kopp
:http://analytic.tripod.com/

    For a new user or an existing 4.x user I would recommend DragonFly
    over FreeBSD-5.x, but with the caveat that ports are more likely to
    compile and install cleanly running FreeBSD-5.x verses DragonFly
    because we have not shifted our focused to the ports/packages system
    yet.  That said, most ports are available using pkg_add -r and do not
    need to be compiled from scratch, however.

    For someone who has already invested time and effort in 5.x or 6.x
    switching to DragonFly is more of a chore because we are binary
    compatible only with FreeBSD-4.x, not 5.x or 6.x, but I would still
    recommend switching to DragonFly sometime in the next year (especially
    once we get the ports/packages stuff sorted out and a few more
    infrastructure features in-place).

    Now, of course, I am biased.  This is a DragonFly group after all!

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>