Re: Best X/desktop for DFly now?

From: Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 15 Nov 2004 05:22:22 GMT
Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
>wondering if there are any problems with this setup under DFly?  Also, what
>is the reason to switch to xorg?  Is it just a licensing issue?

Partly that.  But also, partly because of that, most top XFree86
developers have now switched to xorg, and that's where you can expect
to see a lot of new features.  Examples: XFixes, Damage, Composite
extensions (already there in their latest release though not fully
enabled) which allow things like true transparency/translucency and
drop-shadows.

>I *had* been running windowmaker most of the time, but Gnome2-lite just
>looks so much nicer and more professional, at the expense of disk space and
>startup time.

If you're just looking for a change from windowmaker, I'm quite happy
with KDE: it meets my needs of being easy-to-use but almost infinitely
tweakable -- whereas the GNOME people seem to have decided that
tweakability is a bad thing.  I find even the web browser (konqueror)
is now superior to mozilla -- ie, it renders many sites correctly that
mozilla(-firefox) can't.  No doubt Apple/Safari helped there.  Of
course, you can use what applications you like under any desktop
environment...

Rahul