Re: apache and file's access time

From: Mikhail Teterin <mi+dragonflybsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:31:32 -0500

Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     Apache is mmap()ing the file and, most likely, the file is completely
>     cached in VM.  There's probably no operation there at all which
>     triggeres the atime update.

AFAIK, Apache will only use mmap for selected "frequently used" files -- it
can't keep more than a total of 2Gb mmap-ed anyway.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_file_cache.html.en#mmapfile

In any case, I tried to shut the httpd down completely and re-request the
file upon restart. atime did not change. It even survived the system reboot
-- re-requesting the file from the freshly booted machine did not change
any of the file's timestamps either :-\

 -mi