Re: checking for bad media

From: "George Georgalis" <george@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 01:01:32 -0500

On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 10:18:56PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>:Had some problems tonight with the 20040913 installer on via epia
>:CL10000 hardware. Is there known issues? Everything would work fine
>:until a little way into the cpdup phase, exactly the same place each
>:time, cd read errors came up, on my old cdrom, a new 656MB one and a new
>:burn on a 700Mb capacity cdrom. So I think it's not the media, the drive
>:is pretty new but I haven't changed it out yet. Has this board been
>:causing problems?
>:
>:
>:An unrelated issue, I've got some apparently failed disks. Is there
>:something akin to linux badblocks on the installer disk which will do a
>:read write test on the drive? I seem to recall a post about that not too
>:long ago, but I can't find it...
>:
>:// George
>:--
>:George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
>:http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george@xxxxxxxxx
>
>    Maybe it's the hard disk you are installing to that is having the
>    media problems instead of the CD.  That's the only thing I can think
>    of that would result in an error at the same place every time.  Usually
>    IDE driver problems, bad cables, and bad CD drives error out in a
>    different location each time.

The errors are with the cd device reads. I'm kinda stuck as far as
capturing the output, the installer won't work via ssh (with su or ssh
-l installer), stops near beginning, during setup. And I had bought
null modem cables to try a serial install, but all the forknibbler docs
(which I need) are unavailable atm, even by google cache...

>    When a modern HD goes bad the only real solution is to buy a new one.
>    It might be possible to salvage it by running the manufacturer's low
>    level formatting tool for the drive, assuming one is available.  (This
>    also means you'd probably have to load up windoz in order to run the
>    tool).

I wasn't looking to "get away with" a bad disk (via badsect), I just want
to verify some disks are good, or bad as the case may be, before I build
on them.

// George