Re: ASCII art boot menu is slow?

To: drhodus@xxxxxxxxxxx
From: Mark Cullen <mark.cullen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 19:08:58 +0100

David Rhodus wrote:
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:46:43 +0100, Mark Cullen
<mark.cullen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Alright well I don't actually have DF installed on my laptop any more as
I was running out of disk space sadly (I'm sitting here thinking about
taking 5.x off my home server, as it just seems to be acting like a
giant pain, and sticking DF on it though)

You all know what I am talking about when I say the ASCII art boot menu
part? Well on 5.x on my laptop that part blinks onto the screen nice and
quick. However I did notice that on DF its really slow and it does it
like... it wipes onto the screen from top to bottom line by line. I was
just curious as to why this is? Not a show-stopper or anything :)

Thanks!

That is because the initial boot output is drawn to both the display
screen and the serial line.  The dual output only happens during the
boot process so it should have no affect on normal system activity.

Yeah, it didn't affect anything else. Anyhow, thanks to you both for clearing that up for me!

I am, however, going to say this once more... the DF installer rocks! I really like it, even at it's current state + some bugs :)

Cheers!

--
Internet Explorer? Try FireFox at http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
Outlook Express? Try ThunderBird at http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/