Re: Power off for PCI devices

From: Hasso Tepper <hasso@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:55:23 +0300

Johannes Hofmann wrote:
> Ah ok. Is there a way to verify the state of the pci devices?
> On my T42 thinkpad I don't see any difference in power consumption
> with hw.pci.do_power_nodriver=1 (measured with an external device and
> battery removed). I'm always around 20 Watt, with est enabled,
> "DynamicClocks" "on" in xorg.conf, and screen backlight set to the
> lowest possible value.

I use hw.pci.do_power_nodriver=3, btw, but it shouldn't matter much. Is
there unused devices at all? And these devices have to have power
management capabilities, not all PCI devices have these.

I use sysutils/pciutils from pkgsrc to play with PCI configuration space.
It doesn't compile in DragonFly without the patch, pkgsrc bugreport is
there about year or so :(. Take patch is available at [1]. lspci -vvv
shows to you all devices with decoded configuration space. For example
ABOUT my wireless card it shows this:

        Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1+ D2- AuxCurrent=375mA
		PME(D0+,D1+,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold-)

Important bit is "Status: D3" - ie. this device is powered down.

[1] -
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~hasso/pkgsrc-patches/pkgsrc-sysutils-pciutils.patch

--
Hasso Tepper