DragonFly mail agent (round two)

From: Matthias Schmidt <matthias@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 14:32:47 +0100

Hi,

corecode@ announced his DragonFly mail agent in [1] as a small, simple
and
clean implementation of a mailer in the base.  The goal of dma was not
to replace a feature complete MTA like sendmail or postfix.  The basic
intention was to be able to deliver mails from cron, periodic etc to
local users.

I enhanced dma and added remote delivery and some other features needed
for works-out-of-the-box and to keep users happy :)  The list of all
features follows:

- Local mail delivery with alias-support
- Remote mail delivery either direct or via a smarthost
- TLS/SSL and STARTTLS support for encrypted connections
- virtualusers (address rewriting) support
- SMTP authentication (currently only plain SMTP login)
- Sendmail compatible command line options
- IPv6 support
- A nice man page (Thanks to swildner@)

You can get the latest version of dma here:
http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~matthias/dma.tar.gz

# tar xfz dma.tar.gz
# cd dma
# make
# make install
# install -d -o root -g mail -m 770 /var/spool/dma

All needed config files are in dma/conf.  Just copy the conf/ directory
to /etc/dma and configure it to your needs.  Check dma(8) for further
information.

I want to commit dma within the next weeks to the tree, so that other
developers can join the development.  As this is a first preview there
are sure some bugs inside, but I'm sure that we can fix this asap.
Furthermore if there is a small feature that is missing, we can add this.
The whole thing about dma is, that it enables a user to send emails from
his machine right out of the box.

Comments, patches, etc are welcome :)

Regards

        Matthias