Re: sudo in the base system

From: Raphael Marmier <raphael@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:14:57 +0100

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    Sudo is certainly popular enough to justify putting it in base, but I
    have a big philosophical problem with the whole concept since its
    purpose in life is basically to rip a hole in UNIX's user
    compartmentalization.  It gives me nightmares of big gaping security
    holes in any system where it is installed.

If sudo is popular (and often needed to avoid spreading the root password), it will end up being installed wether it is a port or not.

For the sake of security, I would rather have sudo included with a minimal but watertight configuration done by a pro, rather than having to install a sudo port that I will maybe misconfigure.

Thus security shouldn't be a factor: sudo MUST come with a secure default configuration in _both_ cases.

best regards

Raphael