Re: index -> strchr / rindex -> strrchr

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:05:22 -0700 (PDT)

    Generally speaking I like the work you are doing, and I'll get to
    it when I get back from my little mini vacation :-)

    However, I would enter a note of caution when it comes to running
    function name replacement.  Many of these replacements, probably most
    of them, do not really move the project forward.

    For example, I am wholely in favor of getting rid of strcpy(), strcat(),
    mktemp(), and so forth... functions that are inherently insecure should
    definitely be replaced, even for trivial uses.

    I would be in favor of fixing up index() and rindex() since the mainstream
    uses of strchr() and strrchr() these days .

    I would not, however, replace any ofthe b*() functions.  The bozos making
    the new standards screwed up big time IMHO.  I far prefer bzero(), bcmp(),
    and bcopy() to junk they replaced them with.

:ftime - get date and time (LEGACY)

	ok

:getwd - get the current working directory pathname (LEGACY)

	ok

:index - character string operations (LEGACY)

	ok

:mktemp - make a unique filename (LEGACY)

	ok

:rindex - character string operations (LEGACY)

	ok

:utimes - set file access and modification times (LEGACY)

	maybe

:wcswcs - find a wide substring (LEGACY)

	ok

:My second question is, should I change this everywhere, or just in bin/,
:sbin/, usr.bin/ and usr.sbin/ or also in lib/, sys/, et cetera? (I presume
:that these changes should not be made in contrib/ and gnu/ directories?
:
:Let me know what you guys think.
:
:Regards,
:Douwe

     As a rule these sorts of changes should NOT be made to contrib/ code
     or third-party maintained code.  I would stick with the primary
     directories for now.  bin, sbin, usr.bin, usr.sbin, lib.  Even sys,
     though that requires a more involved review.

					<dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>