Re: .Dx (DragonFly) macro-ized man pages

To: Aaron Malone <aaron@xxxxxxxxx>
From: Hiten Pandya <hmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 23:44:43 +0000

Aaron Malone wrote:
Here is a big batch of man pages updated to include .Dx where we mean DragonFly, and .Fx where we mean FreeBSD. The patch to add the .Dx macro is part of this diff. One file (gnu/usr.bin/groff/tmac/groff_mdoc.man) will need to be added to the repo.

Below are some random notes I thought might be significant; however, after going through all those man pages, I don't know that my brain works well enough for me to trust its judgment. ;)

I tried to keep my changes as accurate and unintrusive as possible; thus there are references to, say, "DragonFly/FreeBSD" on pages talking about whether or not interesting NIS features work with certain server OSes.

I'm sure this isn't complete yet -- my major criterion was looking for .Fx macros, and I did run across a few naughty man pages that used 'FreeBSD' when they meant .Fx. Haven't looked exhaustively for those yet.

Hmm... I think we definitely should not do a mechanical s/Fx/Dx/ substitution. For example, historically, the Dummynet traffic shaper first appeared in FreeBSD version X.X, and not DragonFly. It is not fair to just take the credit and say it first appeared in DragonFly, which is clearly untrue. :-)

	This patch will need to be broken down into bits, I will commit
	it piece by piece, and the other parts I will do more look-see.

Is this OK with you, and others?

		-Hiten
		Hiten Pandya (hmp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)