Re: DragonFly 3.4 release planning

From: John Marino <dragonflybsd@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 10:32:33 +0200

On 4/14/2013 02:39, Justin Sherrill wrote:
> Here's a status report on the 3.4 release:
>
> * We have the ability to use pkgsrc or dports (building from source in
> either case) now
> * Remaining commits for the release - several people have committed
> last-minute fixes
> * I'm not going to have pkgsrc binaries built for the release.
> * dports binaries - John Marino and Francois Tigeot are uploading now.
>
> I'd like to have the release available with binary packages for dports
> immediately, because I anticipate a number of people wanting to try it
> out.  So, the release will be delayed a few days while the packages
> upload.

Hi Justin,
I believe I've made this suggestion before.  I think announcing the
release on a weekend is the worst time from a PR standpoint, and we
always seem to make the official announcement on a weekend.  I realize
that is when people have the most free time, so the reason for it is
clear.  However, from a PR standpoint I think it's better to delay
release annoucements to Monday or Tueday, even if it's ready on Saturday.

Otherwise it's already "old news" when some readers come back to work,
and perhaps even "scrolled off" the main page by then.

On a unrelated topic, I haven't talked to ftigeot and swildner about
this in detail, but the release must have "pkg" binary pre-installed and
with a pre-set /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf file, so definitely ensure this
is in place in the official release image.  Sorry, I am away from IRC
all week so I don't know if these conversations have already taken place
or not.  Better safe than sorry.

John