Re: DragonFly 3.4 release planning

From: Francois Tigeot <ftigeot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 20:53:38 +0100

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 12:18:55PM -0500, Chris Turner wrote:
> On 03/29/13 16:15, Francois Tigeot wrote:
> >> * Anything remaining that people want to commit to DragonFly
> >
> > Binaries in /bin and /sbin are compiled statically, which makes them unusable
> > with NSS modules.
> > This is IMHO the biggest remaining issue with this release.
>
> Just curious - hasn't this been the case for some time?
> And if so / not - why did this become an issue for you now?

DragonFly is now good enough to be used on production machines in enterprise
environments.

Only beeing able to use local accounts is fine for stand-alone servers but
once one needs to manage hundreds of user accounts, the lack of things like
nsswitch and kerberos support becomes an issue.

NSS doesn't work with static binaries. As far as I know, it's the most
important reason why NetBSD and FreeBSD switched to dynamic binaries for the
root filesystem.

--
Francois Tigeot