Re: PostgreSQL 9.2 benchmarks

From: Francois Tigeot <ftigeot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 16:43:13 +0200

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 11:31:30AM +0100, Mindaugas Rasiukevicius wrote:

> Francois Tigeot <ftigeot@wolfpond.org> wrote:
> > I took advantage of an available dual-Xeon box to do some scalability
> > benchmarking.
> >
> > Some rapid conclusions:
> > - NetBSD has trouble handling high numbers of database clients but still
> >   manages to scale when numbers are low
>
> Would you be able to try using local UNIX socket?  NetBSD should have
> nearly linear scalability, unless there is some regression.  Going through
> 127.0.0.1 is what kills us, I believe.

You're right, it's much better with a Unix socket. NetBSD follows the
FreeBSD curve up to 24 clients (including the peak).
Sadly, it all goes downhill from there.

Performance with 32 clients is on par with the initial 127.0.0.1 results.
Tests with 48 or more clients are still running and will probably yield bad
results too.
The system is almost completely unresponsive. Just seeing 'ls' appear on
the remote shell I use takes about 20 seconds with a long pause between
the two letters.

The 48 clients pgbench test was supposed to only run for 10 minutes and is
not yet done after half an hour ...

--
Francois Tigeot