Re: [GSoC]Overview on my GSoC project: Implement BFQ disk scheduling policy

From: Brills Peng <brillsp@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 22:44:27 +0800

On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 22:44 -0400, Justin Sherrill wrote:
> For testing - Dillon's previous disk work has used blogbench for
> testing, and I've used sysbench.  There's also the usual task of
> buildworld, though I suppose the next question would be how you'd
> measure how well it worked in terms of interactivity.

I have read about how the performance BFQ scheduler on Linux is
measured[1][2]. I think we can design the following test cases:

A. fairness oriented tests:

Measure average disk bandwidth distribution of several parallel
processes/threads that read/write same files of same size (and in
continuous blocks on a disk).

Although it quite differs from the actual cases that we meet everyday,
it still can help to tell how fair a Fair Queue is.

B. tests based on actual cases:

 - We can select a set of applications to test their response latency
when the computer is under heavy I/Os, or just measure the time consumed
for a cold start of an application (avoid being affected by the
disk-memory mapping cache)
 - We can measure the performance of some applications that frequently
and heavily do I/Os, such as DBMS.

[1]http://algo.ing.unimo.it/people/paolo/disk_sched/results.php
[2]http://algo.ing.unimo.it/people/paolo/disk_sched/comparison.php

Brills Peng