RFC: virtio blk driver

From: Tim Bisson <bissont@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 18:51:11 -0800

Hi,

Pratyush and I have been working on the virtio drivers. The virtio-blk driver is ready for more testing and eyes looking at the code. The virtio-net driver is still in progress.

I can't guarantee it won't panic your system, but it has survived a couple hours of "fsstress" testing.

Here's some simple DD-based performance numbers compared with an emulated IDE driver:
http://img507.imageshack.us/i/write.jpg
http://img195.imageshack.us/f/readf.jpg

You can find the code at:
http://gitorious.org/virtio-drivers

The wiki has some notes about it: installing, architecture, porting notes, etc:
http://gitorious.org/virtio-drivers/pages/Home

Thanks,
Tim