Re: Thoughts on Quotas

From: Chris Turner <c.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 23:34:48 -0500

Samuel J. Greear wrote:
2^16 is nowhere close to enough. Quota's are very useful and to be
useful you need to support hundreds of thousands of users. I consider
lack of useful quota's to be one of our most major deficiencies.

show me a single unix system with 100k's of users?

I'm sure there's a few. but not 'hardly useful' if not supporting
less than 100k

also:

$ grep 'uid_t;' /usr/include/sys/types.h
typedef __uint32_t      uid_t;          /* user id */

so like.. 32768 < 100k

which isn't to say unix user/groups etc. is be-all-end-all
of "user systems" -

but it works pretty well for most cases - and this statement
quite simply *not true* - run a workgroup lan for like 5 minutes -
and you'll find that 'hey this quota thing is a good idea'