Re: firmware discussion

From: Aggelos Economopoulos <aoiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 22:27:28 +0300

Joe Talbott wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 01:12:05PM +0300, Aggelos Economopoulos wrote:
[...]
>> Which do we want to go with? Any other ideas?
>
> Perhaps we can rework our old firmware API to be a drop-in replacement
> for the FreeBSD one.  This would ease driver porting yet allow us to
> use our /etc/firmware infrastructure.

We already have the freebsd firmware interface in kern/subr_firmware.c
(ours is in kern/kern_firmware.c). You can definitely have the freebsd
api use our api internally to access files in whatever userspace dir,
but I think we should only have one firmware loading api. So if you want
to give that a shot, please just integrate the functionality in
subr_firmware.c and kill the old api.

Aggelos