crypto (Re: Google Summer of Code idea)

From: Magnus Eriksson <magetoo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 16:41:29 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, Aggelos Economopoulos wrote:

Aggelos Economopoulos wrote:

Dare I point at the device mapper GSoC project which includes implementing the crypt target? I think that's generic enough (;P) and would also get us mature volume management for free.

Now all you need is to find the people who are going to implement and maintain the whole thing.
I'm all for pooling our developer resources with other BSDs

Then what about cgd?

http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-cgd.html

http://man.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/man-cgi?cgd

DESCRIPTION
     The cgd driver provides the capability of encrypting blocks on
     their way to and from a disk or partition.

Just a suggestion. As I understand it, it is regarded as well designed, and crypto is not an area where you want to take chances with new inventions. (It happens to work well for my purposes too...)

On a side note, I think that NetBSD could gain from some DF ideas too, in case anyone thinks I'm just trolling the DF lists for converts. Hammer, obviously, and also the BSD Installer comes to mind.

MAgnus