Re: I/O scheduler (aka dsched)

From: Magnus Eriksson <magetoo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 12:06:25 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010, Alex Hornung wrote:

The past months I've been working intermittently on an I/O scheduler framework and a fair queuing policy for DragonFly BSD.

Sounds really cool!

The ionice priority is similar to nice, but the levels nice values range
from 0 to 10, and unlike the usual nice, 10 is the highest priority and 0
the lowest. Usage is exactly the same as nice:

I think the principle of least surprise would suggest that it should work exactly like nice, rather than flip it around, or people will get confused why the misbehaving program continues to eat all IO even after they reniced it. :-)

MAgnus