Re: kernel work week of 3-Feb-2010 HEADS UP (interleaved swap test)

From: Michael Neumann <michaelneuma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 11:32:44 +0100

2010/2/8 Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
   The latest commit adds write clustering and some additional features
   to the swapcache, plus a manual page: swapcache(8).

   The write clustering significantly reduces the IOPS rate for writes to
   the swapcache and appears to improve the SSDs performance (presumably
   it has an earlier time write-combining and erasing).

   --

   Just for the hell of it I set up two 40G Intel SSDs as 2x interleaved

Are you using a RAID-0 (striping) here? Or is there a way to tell dumpon to use
more than one device for swap caching?

I'd expect random reads from files to profit much more than linear reads when
compared against hard disks. Do you share this assumption? Do you have any
numbers on this kind of benchmark? Can you think of any other real-world benchmarks that would make sense to execute on such a machine?
I could do some testing on a big machine, equipped with 2x120 GB SSD, once I
get the network controller to work (82576 Intel PRO/1000 not working on DragonFly).

Regards,

  Michael