Re: size_t changes and 32/64-bit, kernel uio_resid type changed.

From: Jordan Gordeev <jgordeev@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 20:27:20 +0300

Garance A Drosihn wrote:
At 9:49 PM -0700 8/18/09, Matthew Dillon wrote:
size_t has been changed to unsigned long (and ssize_t to long). I may
revert this prior to the release if we hit pkgsrc problems. The change
will be kept for 64-bit machines.

The change on 32 bit machines seems to do a pretty good job generating
compiler warnings on 32-bit machines for code that will break on
64-bit machines. Because of this I think it is worth seeing how badly
pkgsrc breaks with the change. If it breaks too much we will revert
it on 32 bit machines.

Isn't this explicitly wrong? Isn't ssize_t defined as holding all valid values of size_t, *plus* some extra values which can be used for error indications?

To quote SUSv3:

   "The type ssize_t shall be capable of storing values at least
    in the range [-1, {SSIZE_MAX}]"

So are you defining SSIZE_MAX to be smaller than maximum-long?

You are mistaken.
ssize_t is expected to be the same size as size_t.
SSIZE_MAX in our case will equal LONG_MAX. What do you see as being wrong with that?