Re: Supported SAS adapters

From: Francois Tigeot <ftigeot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 19:57:38 +0200

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 09:21:11AM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :I will have the occasion to test some storage servers in the next few days. Is
> :there a chance recent LSI MegaRAID SAS adapters have a working driver ?
> :
> :These beasts can pack up to 24 TB; I would love to setup a Hammer filesystem
> :this large ...
>
>     I haven't done any SAS adapter ports myself.  The NATA driver has some
>     MegaRAID support, but probably not the SAS part.
>
>     I'm willing to do one more major driver port similar to the AHCI and SILI
>     ports (i.e. all the bells and whistles), if people want to nominate a
>     reasonably-priced SAS card in mass production.  It will be a post-release,
>     post-SOC project for me.

That would be great.

The adapter in the servers is a MegaRAID SAS 8888ELP:

http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/products_home/internal_raid/megaraid_sas/megaraid_sas_8888elp/

It is able to drive two sas connectors among 4: 2 internal and 2 externals for
a total of 240 disks.

>     I have no plans to port any of the BIOS fake-raid stuff.

Yup, that stuff is worthless and I wouldn't expect to see it in SAS hardware
anyway.

--
Francois Tigeot