Re: AHCI driver progress report - hot-swap PM and parallel probe!

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 01:54:45 -0700 (PDT)

    I think we do need to be able to mount by serial number, or perhaps
    have some sort of translation file in /etc so /etc/fstab can use short
    names.  The device iteration works fine for systems with one or two
    disks, but after that it just gets too problematic as any drop-out
    will renumber the da* devices.

    I don't think we're gonna be able to get that in for 2.4, but the devfs
    SOC project should make it possible for the kernel to create symlinks
    within it for serial numbers during boot (before the filesystems go R+W),
    and that plus a translation file in /etc would do the trick.

    That reminds me, I have to add serial number probing support to
    AHCI.  It's a really easy step, I just have to fake the SCSI page
    command that retrieves it and copy the information out of the ident
    structure that it already collects (and prints to the console).  The
    peripheral driver could then issue the devfs link once devfs is
    integrated.