Re: Problems with vnode locking/unlocking

From: Alex Hornung <ahornung@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 07:49:28 +0100

In the devfs_root->devfs_allocv issue I've decided to check inside
allocv to see if devfs_node->v_node is NULL and only THEN allocate a new
vnode, as it should be nulled out everry time a vnode is reclaimed.

Also I've taken into account your suggestions regarding locking and
yesterday's problems are gone (hang when reading the content of a
subdirectory) but I've found a new one.

Now I get a panic in lockmgr due to the vn_unlock in nresolve when
creating, or trying to create, a symlink. I suppose I'm trying to unlock
an unlocked vnode and that is causing the problem. Is it right after all
to unlock the vnode in nresolve? I don't think nsymlink has even been
called yet at the time of the panic.

Cheers,
Alex Hornung

The new code is at:
http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/~alexh/dragonfly.git/tree/5f72c8d7bd3081a5aeaec1707cf55de110a3385d:/sys/vfs/devfs

This is the panic:
kernel: type 12 trap, code=0
Stopped at      lockmgr+0x8b:   movl    0x4(%ebx),%ecx
db> trace
trace
lockmgr(c0,6) at lockmgr+0x8b
vn_unlock(0,0,d4484328,cf79c518,d4453af8) at vn_unlock+0x13
devfs_nresolve(d1f54b64,c0616760,c1e899f0,d4484328,cf79c518) at
devfs_nresolve+0xa5
vop_nresolve(c1e899f0,d1f54ba4,d4484328,c1d45f58,cf79c518) at
vop_nresolve+0x2f
cache_resolve(d1f54bd4,c1d45f58) at cache_resolve+0x30f
nlookup(d1f54c80,0,d1f54c80,d1f54cf0,d1f54cc4) at nlookup+0x25e
kern_stat(d1f54c80,d1f54c18,d1f54c34,c048f383,d1f067f4) at kern_stat+0xf
sys_lstat(d1f54cf0,6,0,0,cf79c2d8) at sys_lstat+0x35
syscall2(d1f54d40) at syscall2+0x1ef
Xint0x80_syscall() at Xint0x80_syscall+0x36