Re: Problems with vnode locking/unlocking

From: Matthew Dillon <dillon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 16:02:31 -0700 (PDT)

:Hi,
:
:I'm running into quite a lot of trouble with vnode locking and
:unlocking, releasing, putting, getting, ... I'm 100% sure I got most if
:not all of the vnode locking wrong and I reallly need some help
:understanding it. It is still unclear to me what vnops need to do what
:with regard to locking/unlocking.
:
:My current code is here:
:http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/~alexh/dragonfly.git/tree/9de1a66518d104077521a13d7b13ae958fd79d98:/sys/vfs/devfs
:
:Right now my concerns are mainly in devfs_vnops.c, where all the
:locking/unlocking/... occurs or should occur.
:
:I'd appreciate some insight/comments/corrections/... on this issue!
:
:Alex Hornung

    One thing I noticed is that the devfs_root() code path does not
    look right.  This routine can be called any number of times by
    the kernel, you don't want to allocate a new root vnode every
    time!

    devfs_root()->devfs_allocv()->getnewvnode()-> ...

    If the root node already has a vnode associated with it you have to
    ref and vn_lock and return that vnode, not allocate a new vnode.
    I think you might be overwriting previously acquired vnode pointers
    in that root node and that will certainly mess things up.

    --

    Another thing I noticed is that you need to remember that when you
    return a vnode in *vpp, the caller is expected that vnode to be

    So for example the devfs_nsymlink() call is calling devfs_allocvp()
    but it is also returning the vp in *ap->a_vpp.  In the case of
    devfs_nsymlink() I believe it is expected to return a referenced
    but NOT locked vnode, so you would unlock it but not dereference it
    before returning.

    You will want to check all the VNOPS that return a vnode in *ap->a_vpp
    for similar issues.

    In the case if nresolve I believe you are doing it correctly...
    VOP_NRESOLVE() does not return a vnode (there is no ap->a_vpp),
    it just expects the namecache entry to be resolved and the
    cache_setvp() call doesn't inherit any refs or anything so you unlock
    and release the vnode like you are doing.

					<dillon@backplane.com>