Re: C++ in the kernel

From: "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 00:48:51 +0100

Erik Wikström wrote:
On 2009-01-05 15:02, B. Estrade wrote:
On 2009-01-05 12:33, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 05:06:13PM +0100, Michael Neumann wrote:
This question bugs me since a quite long time so I write it down...

FreeBSD had a long thread about pros and cons of using C++
in the kernel here [1].

I'm undecided whether it would be good to use C++ in the DragonFly kernel.
Regardless of what folks decide, I ask that everyone keep one thing in
mind (which so far in this thread has not been mentioned):

This is an open-source project.  What guarantee is there that all
members of the project (at the time, or in the future) are going to
understand all the intricacies and C++ nomenclature?
This story is not meant to reflect on C++ the language.  I hope readers
understand the point of the story, and take into considerations the pros
and cons of said choice.
That is a very important consideration, however I would like to point
out that for kernel development only a very limited subset of the C++
language would be used. I would assume that the most desirable features
would be 1) real classes with member-functions as opposed to structs and
functions that work on them, 2) inheritance, 3) constructors/
destructors, and 4) templates, which are quite easy to understand.
Is the current code bad or something? What exactly is the problem that
can be "solved" with C++?

Actually I think the current code is quote good, at least the part's of it that have been changed the last decade or so. And there is no problem that can't be solved in C (or Fortran or Ada) that can't be solved in C++. But fact is that many parts of the kernel uses object oriented programming, but C does not have support for this at the language level and C++ does. It is also a fact that current code uses macros to create generic types (such as lists and queues) and once again this is something that C++ has language level support for.

I'd like to see a non-ugly template implementation that can be used like our current queue.h/tree.h macros. I don't like C++, but I'd be positively surprised it this could be solved elegantly.

cheers
  simon

--
  <3 the future  +++  RENT this banner advert  +++   ASCII Ribbon   /"\
  rock the past  +++  space for low €€€ NOW!1  +++     Campaign     \ /